January 14, 2011

New Sleep Habits

Okay, so before this new semester starts I really need to get myself into a better sleeping cycle.  For the past two or so weeks I have not gone to bed before 3am, it sucks especially because the earliest I wake up then is around 9:45....and that is only if I have work.



Anyway, this coming semester is going to be byfar my hardest yet. I will be taking 6 classes only one below 330 level, and that is an accounting class. I haven't been what you could call the most studious of students over the last two and a half years so I am seriously running out of time to turn my GPA around.

In high school I had it easy. I had a 94 average without ever studying or doing any extra work. Just going to class and listening did it for me. I got upper 90's on my regents tests, took 4 AP's and did well on my SAT and great on my ACT; and then I went to college.


At first I just tried to do the same thing I did in HS, and after my first semester I got a mediocre 3.02 GPA. It was okay for a first semester student but since then I have done nothing to try to improve this GPA, I don't do readings unless I really really need to - I don't study until the night before. Even when I do study its only for a few hours and I do homework if I am lucky enough to remember in time to do it. Now going into my second semester Jr. year my GPA is a terrible 2.25. I never thought I'd be the kid with a bad GPA, its shocking to me - but I know exactly why and how I got to where I am.


Over this next semester I am going to try very hard to start up some new habits. Firstly, I am going to get into a set sleeping pattern during the week - basically I am giving myself a bedtime. I am also going to go to the gym Monday-Thursday - this should not only help get me back into shape but also gain some confidence I used to have but seem to be lacking as of late. I am also going to work very hard at getting all my assignments done as soon as I can. After looking over some of my course syllabus's I must say if I don't do this I am doomed. I have some lengthy breaks between classes this semester so those will be used to visit the Office of Career Services as well as study, reread notes, do homework and get ahead in my classes. I am planning one hell of a semester, hopefully it works out.

Now I know that before I graduate (3 semesters + 1 summer term) there is not much a 2.25 GPA can be brought up. In fact to get a 2.25 GPA up to a 3.0 I think I'd need almost all 4.0's over these terms/semesters. That is nearly impossible, especially for someone like me who works, volunteers and also likes to socialize with friends over the weekends. So, I am abandoning my GPA, the only thing I really care about from here on out is getting a job. How can you do that with such a shitty GPA? Well it wont be easy but the GPA isn't the end all. I have a pretty solid resume, better than average customer service and people skills (or so I'd like to believe); and if I do what I say I will do then I will be able to show an amazing improvement for my last three semesters. That improvement is what I will rely on to show potential employers that I figured my shit out and got serious.

So anyway I am still optimistic and I have a ton of goals and dreams I am confident that (despite fucking up the first two years of school) I will still accomplish.


Sorry if this post sounds choppy or just plain stupid. It is late (3:30am) and it has been quite a while since I wrote anything other than class notes. I am still developing and toying with what I am going to do with this blog. It is definitely still going to be a place where I write about my sexual frustrations and discoveries but I also think it is going to take on a daily journal type feel as well. I will write more about everything tomorrow when I am less tired and can think a little clearer.



-SFC



PS. Let me know if I start getting too crazy with the images. I think it is good to break up all the text on the page but if it is distracting I will tone it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment